Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, April 16, 2010

IS IT GONNA BE LIKE THIS FOR 8 MONTHS?

Today's been a tough one.

Since the first week of Basic Training, Fridays have always been the hardest days for me. I knew yesterday that today would be trying. I could feel it. Little did I know.

Bryan called at 245 this morning. They were ready to transport the soldiers deploying to Northern Iraq and were heading back to Kuwait City for their flight. I was able to go back to sleep, thankfully, but when I got up it hit me. He's actually going. He'd also been separated from Culbert...2LT Joseph Culbert. They've been training together since 2008. They've been Battle Buddies and our families have grown close over these two years. Culbert, I believe, is deploying just outside Baghdad. Anyway, it was all so surreal. And I couldn't really remember too many details from our middle of the night conversation. About 11am Bryan called to let me know they made it. Unfortunately, our connection was terrible. I could only hear pieces of words, which was frustrating. I somehow managed to hear he was outside Baghdad and would be heading to Mosul or Q-West in two hours. Then our connection was lost. So sad. I haven't heard from him to know they arrived at Q-West. I'm hoping for a USO call tomorrow. I'm guessing this is how it will be throughout the deployment...waiting for the next call.

Even though it's scary to know he's actually in Iraq, it's pretty exciting. Bryan's been training and been in some sort of Army school for over 3 years. He's ready for his mission - mentally and physically. He's taken pride in his physical fitness and has graduated at or near the top of his classes. And Bryan hasn't met the guys in his unit, yet. He's been training at Ft. Benning and his guys were pre-mobing at Camp Shelby and then left for Iraq in February. I'm excited for his "joes", too. They have a cream of the crop platoon leader coming their way. He's committed to his men. He knows the families of these men expect him to bring them home in the same or better condition as when they left . It will be an honor to serve under Lt. Hayes.

I'll let you all know when I hear from him again. Let's pray it's tomorrow!

Love to you all.
Ang





No comments:

Post a Comment